The Coater Production Technician is responsible for performing work duties of two identified skills/jobs as the skill is learned and certified: Utility Technician and the Winder Operator. Additionally, the Coater Production Technician will train, and develop competency in for the Coater Head Operator role. Proficiency of each skill is acquired through a combination of academic training and testing, and on the job training/demonstration of skill.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Visually inspects equipment and controls at periodic intervals to detect malfunctions or need for repair. Inspects machine/equipment for hazards, operating efficiency, malfunctions, wear, and leaks.
- Cleans, maintains, and repairs equipment and work area using hand tools, or if needed, requests that repair and maintenance work be performed by communicating, logging, and entering work orders in JD Edwards.
- Performs LOTO (lock out tag out) of associated equipment.
- Performs Preventative Maintenance (PM’s) as needed (eye wash stations, fire extinguisher inspections, dust bag removal, etc.)
- Assists in threading of the machine during paper break events.
- Make proper shift relief by entering daily elogger information, and communicating with supervisors and incoming operators.
- Trains other team members to learn the position and machine responsibilities/duties to increase production, maintain quality, and execute preventive maintenance on machines to prevent downtime and to ensure a sustainable and well-trained workforce.
- Uses Mobile equipment to perform tasks supporting overall coater operations (roll clamp, forklift, bale clamps, and skid steer) inspection, operation and refueling.
- Operates and monitors the coater Effluent Treatment Plant (ETP).
- Removes/dumps the ETP sludge dumpsters and other waste dumpsters as needed.
- Monitors and refills ETP chemicals and replaces the filter mesh.
- U-Drain and sump pit operation and monitoring.
- Pulls and stages rolls from warehouse using roll clamp. Uses the RF scanner to ensure rolls are scanned to proper locations
- Operates a crane and other hoists to move spools, paper rolls, and mixers.
- Spool management (slabbing off paper, cleaning, rotation, etc.).
- Drives a skid steer to remove wastepaper and haul to proper locations based on products being produced.
- Operates the bander chopper and empties the banding dumpster as needed.
- Preparing paper rolls for use, moving paper rolls with roll pushers and roll trolley system and putting rolls into turret unwind system with proper set up for flying splices.
- Removes bales from baler.
- Rod cleaning.
- Assists with the coating prep by mixing coatings prior to runs and assists with coating clean ups between product runs. Cleans the empty chemical totes with a Gama Jet Tote washer, sealing properly and moving cleaned totes to designated storage location.
- Assists at the winder when needed. Reworks damaged rolls.
- Restocks consumable supplies in the turret area and other locations including but not limited to tape, paint, splicing tape.
- Performs winder machine set-up based on product specifications. Ensure proper machine set points and parameters are entered, including set up and operation of edge guide, cutting slitters trim chutes and baler.
- Operates and monitors the Winder control station and HMI to required setpoints.
- Uses the trim sheets and product specifications for reference; cuts the cores to correct sizes using the electric core saw. Ensures proper diameter and thickness.
- Monitors the winding process to ensure that roll quality is maintained by watching for quality issues/defects, ensuring that only prime coated liner is on the finished roll. Ensures that rolls are completed to specification and requirements. (i.e. labeling, banding, shrink wrapping, end-capping, etc.
- Ensuring proper roll selection, accurately entering product quality data and finished roll properties (roll length, splices, etc.)
- Operation of manual roll banders and roll pushers.
- Monitoring and replacement of slitter blades and bands as needed.
- Certified and operate crane to move spools and paper rolls.
- Operates a skid steer with a grapple attachment to move wastepaper and bales to proper locations.
- Operates the coater machine reel area when needed (spool braking system)
- Spool management (slabbing off paper, cleaning, rotation, etc)
- Restocks consumable supplies including but not limited to tape, labels, cores, core plugs, steel banding, printing ink and bands.
STANDARD RESPONSIBILITIES AND EXPECTATIONS
- Observe & enforce all company personnel, quality, and safety policies.
- Maintains a positive work atmosphere by acting and communicating in a manner so that you work effectively and cooperatively with coworkers and leadership teams.
- Recognizes and acts on incidents and safety risks. Consistently practices and enforces safe work habits and drives those habits throughout the organization.
- Participates in process improvement and problem-solving utilizing continuous improvement and rational thinking methodologies such as Six Sigma, Lean Manufacturing, etc.
REQUIRED EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
- High School Diploma required.
- 1-3 Years of previous manufacturing experience required
- Mobile Equipment and Overhead Crane certified
- Ability and desire to work rotating 12-hour work shifts, including nights, weekends, and holidays
PREFERRED EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
- Proficient in the use of JDEdwards
- Good problem-solving skills
- Strong attention to detail
- Good leadership skills
- Good working knowledge of using a variety of hand and power tools to complete tasks.
- Good communication skills: the ability to communicate clearly and effectively, sometimes in highly complex, technical situations.
- Good Leadership skills: the ability to lead others calmly through challenging circumstances and situations.
- Be a safety champion, highly motivated and results oriented team member.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Must be able to lift up-to 50 pounds
- Must be able to work in hot, humid, and cold manufacturing environment
- Must be able to work in crowded spaces for 4+ hours per shift
- Must be able to bend and stoop for 7+ hours per shift
- Must be able to stand for 6+ hours per shift
- Must be able to walk for 6+ hours per shift
- Must be able to reach and grasp up to 6+ hours per shift
about our company:
Located in Becker, MN - Liberty Paper Inc. is a high-technology driven paper mill that recycles old corrugated containers (OCC) into kraft liner board for new corrugated packaging. We are a 100% recycled paper mill, as committed to the environment and product innovation as we are to our amazing team. We are part of the Liberty Diversified International family of companies.
Comprised of multiple companies with headquarters in New Hope, Minnesota, Liberty Diversified International (LDI) is a privately held company employing more than 1,900 individuals across our manufacturing facilities, production facilities and core business operations in Minnesota, Iowa, Nebraska, Illinois, Georgia, Mississippi, Texas, Arizona, California, and Mexico. With deep roots in the corrugated box manufacturing industry, we operate in the core markets of paper, packaging, workplace products, corrugated plastics and building products.
Since 1918, our values – Caring, Innovation, Trust, and Excellence – have guided our day-to-day activities. We believe that when our employees are aligned with these values, we create superior solutions and services for our customers. The LDI family of companies includes Liberty Packaging, Liberty Paper, Liberty Plastics (Custom Solutions and Quarrix Building Products) and Safco.
◊ ◊ ◊
Liberty Diversified International is an equal opportunity employer and makes all employment decisions without regard to race, color, sex, religion, age, creed, sexual orientation, national origin, marital status, disability, or any other protected class.