The Cost Accountant that will be responsible for maintaining the integrity of costs within the system, ensuring effective inventory control, closing the books at month-end, reconciling accounts, and assisting with audits. You will be the primary finance business partner for the Operations and Supply Chain functions, providing value-added reporting to monitor operations performance and providing value-added analysis to support strategic business decisions. This role offers a great mix of accounting (60±%) and financial analysis (40%±), and reports to the Safco Finance Director. This hybrid position is based in Safco’s corporate headquarters in New Hope, MN.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Manage and maintain Safco’s standard costs (including Material, Freight In, Tariff, Labor & Overhead), examine variances to identify process inefficiencies, improvement opportunities, and profitability in product in partnership with other functions.
- Investigate and report on variances between budgeted and actual costs and propose corrective actions when necessary.
- Collect, analyze, and interpret operational data to identify trends, opportunities, and areas for improvement.
- Review and partner with the plants to resolve and proactively minimize work order variances and implement processes to ensure earned hours are appropriately recorded on work orders.
- Lead processes to ensure inventory controls are in place within Safco in compliance with GAAP and LDI policy including cycle count and physical inventory processes.
- Perform monthly inventory reconciliations and ensure appropriate reserves; investigate and lead the process to resolve material discrepancies.
- Participate in the month-end close process: publish monthly reports and metrics and ensure timely and accurate reporting of Safco’s Cost of Goods Sold and other operating costs.
- Own cost of goods sold and inventory during annual audit.
- Ensure compliance with accounting policies, principles, regulatory requirements, and corporate controls, and function as a liaison between the business and Shared Services.
Operations and Supply Chain Business Partnering:
- Intimately know the operating costs of the business as you help create the income statement and balance sheet in compliance with GAAP and pull back and synthesize information to achieve desired business objectives.
- Manage the expense budget and forecasting process for plants and distribution centers, leading the operations teams to develop budgets that drive improvement in line with Safco goals.
- Partner with business leaders to develop and report against capital expenditure budgets.
- Develop and maintain key performance indicators (KPIs) for operational efficiency and financial performance.
- Partner with the Supply Chain and Operations teams to develop and report on material, freight, and inventory goals.
- Generate accurate and timely financial reports for operations, providing insights and recommendations to management.
- Conduct ad-hoc financial analysis and scenario modeling as required.
- Perform other duties, as assigned
REQUIRED EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
- Bachelor's degree in, Accounting, Finance or Business Administration
- 4+ years of applicable analytical experience
- Power user in Excel; BI and JDE experience preferred
- Excellent analytical, critical thinking and communication skills as well as strong financial systems knowledge
- Ability to present analysis/financial reports and insights to business leaders
- Self-starter who provides thought leadership around building new reports and enhancing metrics that benefit internal stakeholders
- Ability to implement complicated business concepts
- Proficient at translating business requirements from sales and customers into technical terms and vice versa
- Comfortable navigating through ambiguity and managing multiple priorities
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Regular sitting, standing, and walking throughout the day to accomplish tasks
- Manual and finger dexterity used regularly with some repetitive finger motions
- Ability to work in front of a computer screen for long periods of time
- Specific vision capabilities which include close and distance vision; the ability to identify colors, small letters, and numbers; hand/eye coordination; depth perception; and ability to adjust focus
- Hearing and speaking
- Other conditions may include frequent reaching, stretching, pushing, pulling, pinching, grasping, and gripping
about our company:
Comprised of multiple companies with headquarters in New Hope, Minnesota, Liberty Diversified International (LDI) is a privately held company employing more than 1,900 individuals across our manufacturing facilities, production facilities, and core business operations in Minnesota, Iowa, Nebraska, Illinois, Georgia, Mississippi, Texas, Arizona, California, and Mexico. With deep roots in the corrugated box manufacturing industry, we operate in the core markets of paper, packaging, workplace products, corrugated plastics, and building products.
Since 1918, our values – Caring, Innovation, Trust and Excellence – have guided our day-to-day activities. We believe that when our employees are aligned with these values, we create superior solutions and service for our customers. The LDI family of companies includes Liberty Packaging, Liberty Paper, Liberty Plastics (Custom Solutions and Quarrix Building Products) and Safco.
◊ ◊ ◊
Liberty Diversified International is an equal opportunity employer and makes all employment decisions without regard to race, color, sex, religion, age, creed, sexual orientation, national origin, marital status, disability, or any other protected class.