As the Payroll Supervisor at Liberty Diversified International you will be responsible for leading the payroll operations for all US divisions, consisting of 10 pay groups representing 1,500 employees. You’ll be an expert payroll processor while shaping the vision of the payroll function, including leadership of the Senior Payroll Specialist and providing subject matter expertise on payroll compliance and best practices. This full-time, hybrid position reports directly to the Senior HR Operations Manager and is located at LDI’s headquarters in Minneapolis, Minnesota.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Proactively keep up to date on and comply with payroll reporting, procedures, and regulatory requirements, driving creation of new processes or updating existing processes when necessary.
- Ensures timely and accurate preparation of all US division payroll operations and works closely with the Human Resources team to ensure payroll actions comply with established employment and benefits practices and procedures.
- Research, interpret and comply with various withholding statuses and various state limits and laws when processing final payments.
- Ensure annual W2 reconciliations are completed timely and accurately, in addition to W2 processing.
- Leads the processing of all federal, state, and local tax reports including quarterly and year-end tax returns; determining the taxability of non-direct wage payments and serves as an in-house contact for technical tax compliance issues and set-up in the payroll system.
- In partnership with HR Operations and IT, serve as a business analyst and relationship manager for payroll system (ADP Vantage) maintenance, dashboard analytics, requested changes and upgrades.
- Review, analyze, and process payrolls while continuously monitoring for and recommending process improvements. This includes ensuring quality control measures are in place to maintain accuracy and completeness of payrolls.
- Interpret various state escheatment reporting.
- Responsible for new state tax registrations, setup and filings, consulting with internal Finance, Legal and Tax resources as necessary.
- Oversee ADP’s processing of all federal, state, and local tax reports including quarterly and year-end tax returns; determining the taxability of non-direct wage payments and serves as an in-house contact for technical tax compliance issues and set-up in the payroll system.
- Analyze calendar year 401(k) deferral and fiscal 401(k) match and assist with the annual 401(k) audit, in addition to other benefit plan or payroll audits.
- Lead special payroll projects such as process design for new laws, supporting the implementation of new systems and leading the payroll integration for mergers and acquisitions.
- Supervises the Senior Payroll Specialist to accomplish Payroll functional goals and responsibilities, while proactively cross-training others as needed to provide appropriate payroll processing coverage for all payroll cycles in a year.
- Other duties as assigned.
REQUIRED EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
- 5+ years of payroll processing experience
- Minimum 2 year degree
- Project management skills
- Knowledge of Federal, State and applicable local payroll tax laws
- Understanding of internal controls processes
- Payroll, time & attendance and applicable reporting system experience (ADP preferred)
- Microsoft Office skills, particularly Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Ability to manage internal, external and 3rd party vendor relationships
- Strong problem solving and analytical skills
- Ability to multi-task and reallocate priorities regularly
PREFERRED EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
- Union environment experience
- Global payroll processing experience (Mexico preferred)
- Bachelors degree
- Certified Payroll Professional (CPP) certification
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Regular sitting, standing, and walking throughout the day to accomplish tasks
- Manual and finger dexterity used regularly with some repetitive finger motions
- Ability to work in front of a computer screen for long periods of time
- Specific vision abilities include close and distance vision; able to identify colors, small letters, and numbers; hand/eye coordination, depth perception and able to adjust focus
- Hearing and speaking
- Other conditions may include frequent reaching, stretching, pushing, pulling, pinching, grasping, and gripping.
about our company:
Comprised of multiple companies with headquarters in New Hope, Minnesota, Liberty Diversified International (LDI) is a privately held company employing more than 1,900 individuals across our manufacturing facilities, production facilities and core business operations in Minnesota, Iowa, Nebraska, Illinois, Georgia, Mississippi, Texas, Arizona, California, and Mexico. With deep roots in the corrugated box manufacturing industry, we operate in the core markets of paper, packaging, workplace products, corrugated plastics and building products.
Since 1918, our values – Caring, Innovation, Trust and Excellence – have guided our day-to-day activities. We believe that when our employees are aligned with these values, we create superior solutions and service for our customers. The LDI family of companies includes Liberty Packaging, Liberty Paper, Liberty Plastics (Custom Solutions and Quarrix Building Products) and Safco.
◊ ◊ ◊
Liberty Diversified International is an equal opportunity employer and makes all employment decisions without regard to race, color, sex, religion, age, creed, sexual orientation, national origin, marital status, disability, or any other protected class.